Tips for Managing Stress and Anxiety in Children
More and more children are being treated for stress and anxiety today. Here are some helpful strategies to help your child manage their daily stress:
1. Encourage your child to face their fears and not ignore them
2. Assure your child that no one is perfect. While it is important to try your best, there really is no such thing as perfection.
3.Focus on the positive.
4. take time for relaxing activities and “silly time”
5. Be a role model for your child: It’s important for your child to see you face difficult situations head on. Be calm, stay positive and make sure you take time to take care of yourself. It will teach children that self care is just as important as caring for others.
6. reward or acknowledge your child’s efforts in facing and handling stress and anxiety.
7. Establish a sleep routine. Make sure children are not just getting enough sleep, but that the hours of their sleep are consistent
8. Encourage your child to express their feelings and fears. Let children know that simply by talking about their stress and anxiety it makes it seem less overwhelming and more manageable. It also helps them learn to talk through their fears and facing them becomes less intimidating
9. Help your child problem solve without “fixing” things for them.
!0. stay calm.
11. Practice relaxation techniques with your child. This will help them establish a good routine that will be useful for the rest of their life.
12. never give up!
For more information, please see http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dont-worry-mom/201302/12-tips-reduce-your-childs-stress-and-anxiety